Washington FELA Lawyers

Railroad positions are among the most dangerous out there. Injuries can occur on the job, whether the employee is lifting heavy goods into the rail cars or navigating the locomotive on the rails on the way to a destination around town or across the country. Common injuries include broken bones and sprains as well as permanent damage to the spine and brain. Though all injuries incur their fair share of medical bills, permanent injuries often mean a lifetime of health treatment from physical therapy to prescription medication.

FELA and Railroad Injuries

In most employment positions, employees are covered under their employer’s worker’s compensation insurance, so when there’s an injury this insurance covers the employee’s injuries. However, in rail positions, most employees are not covered by worker’s compensation. The Federal Employment Liability Act (FELA) allows injured rail employees the right to sue their employers for compensation and damages when worker’s compensation insurance does not apply. FELA was passed in 1908 as protection for rail workers and their families who could not receive damages when a death or injury occurred. FELA forces railroad companies to pay settlements to family members and victims of rail accidents.

Rail Companies in Washington

Rail lines run throughout the state, carrying passengers and goods to destinations in Canada, the Northwest, and all points beyond. Freight companies that operate in Washington include:

  • BNSF Railway
  • Central Washington Railroad
  • GNP Railway
  • Meeker Southern Railroad
  • Pend Oreille Valley Railroad
  • Puget Sound and Pacific Railroad
  • Union Pacific Railroad
  • Washington and Idaho Railway

Some passenger carriers include:

  • Amtrak
  • Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad
  • Sound Transit
  • Yakima Valley Transportation

Do You Need a Washington FELA attorney?

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a rail accident, contact an injury attorney in Washington for a free consultation. An experienced attorney will assess your case and if you are entitled to damages for your medical bills or loss.

If you have outstanding medical bills, pain from an injury sustained in the accident or lost wages, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses. Contact a qualified personal injury lawyer today to see if you have a case.